Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Burn it Down: AKA Harry Potter and Oprah Make Passionate Love While Bella Swan Watches!

My hard drive crashed. More importantly, my hard drive crashed the day before my demo reel for my Photoshop class was due, meaning I've got to start over. As it’s always been for me, when it rains, it pours. Whenever I get upset, I like to burn things. I’m not a pyromaniac so don’t report me, but it just calms me down to see things ablaze. It has something to do with seeing the flame, seeing the item (usually paper—always paper) disintegrate, I love the smell of burning paper, although I’m sure it can’t be good for my lungs. And today I felt the need to burn something.

Maybe I’m just upset because yesterday I missed the season opener of Oprah. It’s her last season, you know. Of course after the series finale she’ll have her own TV channel and we can renew our spirits 24/7 (because who really does part time channels anymore), and not have to wonder why she’s dedicated an hour to Twilight, the overrated, supernatural teen-drama of the decade. Anyone know last decade’s?: Harry Potter.

Finally it’s over. But I guess J.K. Rowling and/or whatever company films the movies is trying to stretch out the inevitable plummeting income that lack of 8 movies have made/will make and have decided to split the last 600 page book into two 3 hour movies, therefore delaying when they’ll be forced to come up with some other story about outcast teenagers with supernatural powers, political undertones, and random gay characters that don’t come out till after death. “Oh, remember that Dumbledore chap who died? Yes, he’s gay.” Way to punch up the ratings J.K.

Is it bad enough that most of the people where I live think that Harry Potter’s filled with devil-worshipping heathens, you have to add homosexuals? Why don’t you just completely alienate backwoods society by introducing the Red Menace? (Oh, and by the way, Dumbledore didn’t have a red squiggly line under it in Microsoft Word. Now that’s influence.) But since I haven’t read any of the books, despite that Harry’s now old enough to booze it up in my country (and apparently prance around naked in Equus, which does have a squiggly line, hmm).

Insert random nerd chick: OMG! You haven’t read Harry Potter?

Me: I haven’t read Twilight, either.

Random nerd chick: OMG times two!

Me: I don’t have a Twitter account, either.

Random nerd chick faints.

Success!

Though it’s not fully success; I haven’t read any of the books but I have stolen (I mean borrowed, the books are ephemeral, sans barcode, and thus not in the library system so I could, in theory, keep them forever and no one will know) the first 3 Harry Potter books, that would be Harry Goes Camping, Harry Sticks His Nose in Others’ Business, and Harry Goes All Oz on Us; and the first 2 Twilight books, When Bella Met Edward, and Bella Gets All Desperate and OMG! Can’t Figure Out Which Twink She Likes More.

I guess the question is, Since I don’t want to keep these books forever, which misguided-teen fiction will I read first? Bella or Harry? And most important, without any spoilers, people, WHY?

In other words, don’t send me a Tweet on Twitter because I don’t have a Twitter account. Don’t friend me on Facebook, because Facebook is for stalkers. And don’t visit me on MySpace because—hey, wait! I have a MySpace page?!

Leave a comment. I want friends who don’t post creepy Emo photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment